Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Out With The Old

Well it's finally begun, cleaned up a nice spot on the side of the shop for this to sit outta the way while things work themselves together.  Yesterday was a day full of pressure washing, refurbishing an old table & removing/documenting parts.






After just a few months of driving & a couple track days this setup is ready to come out & be replaced with something better.  Still a pretty dirty bay since it hasn't been detailed in a good while, but still clean to some standards.  For the past month I've been using the Chase Bays power steering kit that replaced all my old, leaking OEM hoses & plastic reservoir & tucked everything out of the way.  I was very impressed & pleased with it overall, I'll be looking into using something similar to it in the future.




An hour or so later the entire motorset was pulled & I had a good view of what I'd be facing with my right hand drive firewall conversion.  There's alot of things you don't think about at first when contemplating those kind of conversions...  Fuel lines, brake lines, power steering lines and how well a downpipe will fit between the chassis & steering column.  It's all gonna be totally different, especially in my case since manufactures that produce 1JZ swap parts don't normally consider people doing a project of this type.  
Along with the firewall swap I'll also be removing/replacing my roof skin and tubing the front end.  I was having issues with my tires rubbing my inner fender/chassis already and the car didn't even sit too low.  That'll give me a chance to shave & repaint the engine bay.  The roof... well that just needs to be replaced because of a prior incident.


Here's a "before" picture of what's going on behind my wheels, just so I can see the difference when the new setup is complete.  I was running SPL V1 front tension rods & Battle Version rear upper control arms, Stop-Tech stainless brake lines, Tien type HA coilovers & other little goodies throughout.  Plus the very obvious Z32 front/rear brake conversion.  A very solid setup for most any daily driven car, but I'm looking for a total revamp for this year.







SR20DET engine & the 1JZ that will be replacing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment